Erotica author, aka Elspeth Potter, on Writing from the Inside

Friday, March 13, 2009

Contemporary Romance is Alive and Well, Right?

I noted in passing the other day a passing comment on twitter, that a particular writer would "save the contemporary."

Does the contemporary need saving? It doesn't look like it to me.

From perusing bookstore shelves, I see contemporaries and historicals in about equal numbers. If you add in category romance, almost all of which is contemporary, the numbers go up quickly. Also, Nora Roberts and Susan Elizabeth Phillips, two of the largest selling romance writers, publish contemporaries.

Plus, it looks to me like contemporary even has its own subgenres, romantic suspense and contemporary humor, as well as combinations thereof, none of which appears to be in danger. Linda Howard or Meg Cabot, anyone?

What am I missing? Do categories not count? Do the subgenres like romantic suspense not count? Is the contemporary in "danger" because there are fewer authors but with larger sales? Or am I missing the point entirely?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment