Erotica author, aka Elspeth Potter, on Writing from the Inside

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Short and Sweet

This month, I'll be working on a short story for an anthology. I haven't written any short stories in a really long time, but I ought to remember how.

So, why I am doing this instead of hurrying to complete my proposal for the second Spice novel on my contract?

First, because the editor asked me. I've sold him stories before, and we've had pleasant interactions online (we live in different countries, and have never met). I was pleased that he thought of me.

Second, because it's a nice creative break. Having just written three novels in a row, I think focusing on a short story for a brief time will refresh my creativity. A change always helps with that.

Third, I've been interested in exploring the Crimean War. I've read one book about it and am reading another. I haven't done nearly enough research for a novel, but I've done plenty for a short story.

Fourth, when I did a LiveJournal poll and queried my friends about what I should write (I made the original choices), the winning plot elements were "The Crimean War" and "time travel." And that got me excited to start writing.

Finally, after weeks of thinking about this story in my backbrain, this weekend I finally had an idea for a key point. I can't wait to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment