Erotica author, aka Elspeth Potter, on Writing from the Inside

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Website Makeover

My website's makeover is in progress. The hard part, for me, was telling the designer what I want. I'm not that great with visual stuff and when I organize things, they tend to spiral on and on and on rather being laid out in tidy grids. Luckily for me, the designer had a questionnaire for me to fill out.

It's much easier for me to formulate my website ideas around what I like and dislike rather than just imagining what I want it to look like. I now know a lot about what I don't like.

Things I like: organization, organization, and organization. Open space, so it doesn't feel cluttered. Black print on white background.

Things I dislike: blinky lights; animation; splash pages; image maps; blinky animated splash pages that lead to image maps. Sea green backgrounds. Also, I am not fond of taglines for authors, but I understand why some people have them.

What about you? What do you absolutely detest on author websites?

2 comments:

  1. I hate any kind of animation or sound. Just give it to me simple, people.

    Hmm...I have a blue-green background and a tagline. You hate my site, right? ;-)

    Never fear, I'm getting my site revamped in January. And I'm with you. Thank goodness she had a questionnaire. Even then, I'm like "I want it to FEEL like this," because I'm sucktastic at visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue-green is nice. There's a particular shade of pale aqua that just...no.

    "Feel." Yeah!

    ReplyDelete