Erotica author, aka Elspeth Potter, on Writing from the Inside

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reading Lessons

One of the reasons for my reading vacation was to refill my brain with stuff that I will, eventually, use to write. Letting new water seep into the well, as it were. Eventually, I will write again, and I don't want to have to dig that writing out of the dry and cracked ground of my brain with a pickaxe.

(Another reason was that if I didn't get some hermit-time, I was going to start banging people over the head with whatever I had to hand if they so much as looked at me funny, which tells you something about me and reading.)

I read a lot of books during that week, and skimmed through some that I didn't feel like reading in their entirety, and I tried not to think too much about writing. I did write, on Friday--I had an idea, or part of one, that I burned to put on paper, so I allowed myself to do that, but I didn't finish the short story I began, I only wrote until I came to a logical stopping point. (I didn't finish the story yet, anyway).

But back to the reading. A large portion of what I read were books from series that I had followed for years, one of them even before it was sold. I realized what I cared about, far more than the ongoing plot, was the characters. They'd appeared in more than one book, so I had a better acquaintance with them than characters who only appear in a single novel. Sometimes it only takes one book to love a character, but there are other things you can do with them when they appear over and over. I am thinking about that now. Not very hard. But it's in my backbrain.

I already knew I loved character-driven novels and series even more. It seems a silly thing to need to be reminded of. But I think I did need to be reminded. Now I'm thinking about why I like series so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment